Tuesday 26 May 2015

The Boy Who Disappeared - Liam Hennesce (A book published this year)



I was asked to review a book for a friend of mine and this was the book and it is probably a book I would not have selected myself. A busy Bank Holiday weekend stretched before me but I was promised it was a short book so I settled down to read it in between doing lots of other things. 
Despite the fact that I was so busy I zipped through it in 3 sessions as I wanted to know what happened to Thomas.

This is a debut novel from Hennesce and is based on a true story. Set in 1963 Scarlett is a private detective who is asked to help solve the mystery of a boy called Thomas who disappeared one day after finishing his paper round. There are no leads to go and no motive for him to run away.

As Hennesce is himself a private detective the character of Scarlett is believable and the book also opens you into a realistic portrayal of the world of PI and the type of work they are asked to do. 

It seems to start as quite an airy read with references to the 60's that make you smile and a potentially easy missing persons case to solve but part way through starts to become darker and much more disturbing with Scarlett being double crossed, not knowing who he can trust and entering a murky underworld of crime. 

An enjoyable and intriguing read. Recommended. 

(Available on Kindle only) 


No comments:

Post a Comment