Tuesday 14 April 2015

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle (A book published in the year you were born)




A couple of categories on this list needed a little bit of research, so I Googled books published in 1969 and to my utter joy The Very Hungry Caterpillar was towards the top. I did query this choice with my Facebook friends and as no-one put forward an objection I made sure I read it to the children at work the following day and have included it in my list! 

As a very young child I don't think this book was in my library as it was an American publication and may have taken a few years to gain popularity and cross the pond. I do, however, remember coming across it slightly later in life - possibly my younger brother had a copy. I was fascinated by the holes in the pages, such an amazing idea, and the fruit being on both sides of the (smaller) pages. Now it doesn't seem so different, almost a normality as children's books look for the novel factor to encourage interaction - lifting flaps and foldout pages are the norm now. Holes punched in the middle of pages was a 'stand out' in the early 70's. 

It is a publishing phenomenon with over 30 million copies sold and translated into multiple languages. It is a great learning resource for young children - days of the week, counting, lifecycle of a butterfly and healthy eating all rolled into one. Many a pre-school project has been based on the book (I know I've done a few!) Best of all is the fact that it a lovely story. Children are very particular about what stories they like and this is always a favourite. It has a clear beginning, middle and end and not one but two surprises on the way - the page of wonderful foods on the Saturday (just as you've gone through 5 pages of fruit) and of course the transformation into the butterfly. It has humour and a simplicity that makes it fantastic for young 'readers'. 

It is one of the better children's story books and one I have continued to enjoy reading with children over the last 28 years! 


No comments:

Post a Comment