Sunday 29 March 2015

How It All Began - Penelope Lively (an author you've never read before)



After a rather eventful trip back from our holiday, I had whiplash and a few days off work and so time to get a good start on the reading challenge.

I found this book in our local library. It has one and a half shelves of English language books, most of which look as if they have been donated as it is a rather random selection. It does contain some bilingual books and rather too many that I have read before.

How It All Began was one I had not read before and Lively is not an author I have read before either so I thought this would fit nicely into that category.
It was an easy book to read with friendly characters and tells the story of the events that seem to domino after a mugging, the classic butterfly effect. I found the telling of that more interesting and realistic than other books that cover the same theme - The Birthday Kiss springs to mind where I found the idea of that book interesting but the plot-line unbelievable. This storyline was more believable about how different and seemingly small connections were impacted by this one event.

That being said, I did not find it a memorable book in any way and although the characters were friendly and inoffensive, they did not stand out in any meaningful way.

Still another category checked off the list and a new author tried out.


No comments:

Post a Comment